adding outlets and ceiling lights in older homes

Typical Causes Of Electrical Short Circuits In Homes

An electrical short circuit occurs when an electrical current flows where it isn't supposed to flow, for example, when a live electrical wire comes into contact with a plumbing metal. Short circuits increase the risk of electrical fire, electrical shock and damage to electrical wiring and appliances. Here are some of the reasons your home may experience a short circuit. Damaged Insulation on Wires Electrical conductors are usually enveloped in conductors to prevent current leaking and flowing through unintended paths. Read More 

3 Signs That The Wiring Work In Your Home Might Not Have Been Done Properly

Ensuring that the wiring in your home is done properly is very important. However, there are some situations in which people find that their wiring was not done properly at all. These are a few signs that this might be the case in your home as well. 1. It Was Done by a Non-Professional First of all, it is important to always have your home's wiring work done by an electrician. Read More 

When Not To Use An Electrical Outlet To Install Another One

It is possible to use an existing electrical outlet to install another outlet on the opposite side of the wall on which the current outlet is installed. The wires to the second outlet are threaded through the wall and connected to the electrical contacts of the existing outlet. However, this is only possible if the result will be safe. Here are some of the situations in which the result won't be safe and you shouldn't do it: Read More 

Buzzing Light Bulbs Can Be A Serious Electrical Concern

Light bulbs in a home typically don't make a lot of noise while they run. However, it is possible for some light bulbs to buzz in certain situations. When this happens, there are serious problems that may require an electrician to fix. Why Light Bulbs Buzz Those who have ever heard a light bulb buzzing may wonder what causes this sound. There are several different potential causes. The most common of these causes is a short in the bulb or in the wires that could lead to the light bulb burning out. Read More 

How You Can Install a Three-Wire Exterior GFCI Electrical Outlet for Your Holiday Lights

There is a risk of getting an electrical shock when using an old-standard exterior electrical outlet for your holiday lights. Old-standard electrical outlets don't have a ground fault circuit interrupter in them, and if a short occurs, the power will continue to move through the outlet, meaning that you can get shocked. You should replace the old outlet with a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlet. This is something the average homeowner can do by themselves in about ten minutes. Read More